Tuesday 6 September 2011

Terry Pratchett Book Reviews

I have for a long time been a big fan of Terry Pratchett's books, particularly the Discworld series of books. With the release of 'Snuff' being the 39th book in the Discworld series - I decided it was time to start extolling the virtues of the Discworld series.

First of all, it isn't required to have read all the preceding books to read a Discworld Novel - however I would suggest it's more enjoyable to have done so. Some characters and themes recur on a regular basis and not having the background could water down some of the humour.

I think the most recent novels are actually of a different style than the earlier ones, and reflect the age and experience of the author somewhat. Some might say the earlier books are of a lower quality, but to me the 'Colour of Magic' and it's follow on sequel, 'The Light Fantastic' are a very enjoyable read and are fun books without a hidden agenda.

Later books, tend to blend historical fact with discworld parody and we see the advent of real world institutions coming to fruition in the discworld. 'The Truth' Is all about the development of the press and the newspaper medium, 'Going Postal' follows the inception of a postal service in Ankh Morpork, 'Making Money' is all about the development of a monetary system.

Why Discworld novels in particular? I like reading, I read all sorts of books, I recently read 'The Count of Monte Cristo' By Alexander Dumas, I read 'The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists' by Robert E Tressel and I read, 'The Dark Trilogy' by Phillip Pullman. By the time I was reading 'The Amber Spyglass' I was finding it very hard to put down, but I find that with each and every Terry Pratchett Discworld Novel I read - I tend to finish them in a couple of days...

These are fantastic books, that I think offer something more interesting and inciteful than the more popular fantasy adventure series 'Harry Potter' by J K Rowling, and for that reason I would like suggest more people read the Discworld series, and that they start at the start and work their way through.

In my next post I will be reviewing 'The Colour of Magic'.

No comments:

Post a Comment